Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Reflection 2

We learn of Moroni’s deep desire for the freedom and liberty of the people as he raises the Title of Liberty in Chapter 46 of Alma. Later, in chapter 49, Moroni outsmarts the Lamanites with the building up of dirt mounds, works of timber, and picket fences as a way of protection from the invading Lamanites. Chapter 50 speaks of the great prosperity of the Nephites and gives the reason for the success and prosperity of them at this time. It is because they kept the commandments of God and thus had His Spirit with them always. This led me into thinking about the Moral Dimensions of Teaching and other things we have been discussing in class. Over the last few weeks I have come up with a few ideas as to the goals and things I want to accomplish during my teaching career but I have been having a hard time figuring out how to do it. These few chapters in the Book of Mormon have pretty much given me the answer of how. The answer is to first make sure I constantly have the honest and true desire to make a difference in the lives of my students and am willing to do whatever it takes just as Moroni did by creating the Title of Liberty and rallying up people for support. I also need to keep the commandments of God so that his spirit can guide and inspire me day by. Just as Moroni was able to protect the armies of the Nephites and their families with new inventions and war tactics, I have faith that Heavenly Father will give me daily insights as to how to effectively teach my students. I will be able to invent new teaching styles and methods that use the best of my personality. With the inspiration of the Holy Ghost I will be able to notice the students who need my help and find ways to effectively reach out to those individuals. But I know that I will not become a fantastic teacher in one day. It will take time and experience just as with Moroni.

No comments: