Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Reflection 6

While watching the recordings of myself teaching I am learning that teaching is indeed a mastered profession. Some may be given the talent to teach well but it still takes practice. It's interesting to hear both Geoff and Shummway speak of the mistakes they made during their first few years of teaching. Although we may have lots of practice and get pretty good at teaching in front of a room, it doesn't become reality until you are indeed the teacher who makes the decisions and in turn learns what you can and can't do- which depends on where, what, and who you teach. Although I feel like I have gotten a very little bit better at teaching, I know that it will be many years until I become a fantastic teacher. There are just certain things that you can't learn except by experience.

1 comment:

gaw said...

The funny thing (and exciting part) of teaching is that you can always do better. There are somedays when you think you've hit it out of the ball park, and then the very next day you'll feel like you failed. It's a rollercoaster of learning and growth.