Thursday, October 30, 2008

Reflection 8

More tidbits of things I have been learning and want to implement into my teaching style:

Rather than calling out names of random people for the fun of it I should have rationale such as: they have previous knowledge in the subject and could perhaps explain it in a different or better way, they are not paying attention and I want to get them involved into the discussion again, or if they happen to know the answer (raised their hand). There are all types of rationale but I also agree with Geoff that some type of rationale needs to be included when calling upon a student to answer a question (brings me back to a main emphasis of mine - justification)

Although Geoff probably doesn't agree, I believe that in order to excite the students and clearly display the objective - examples of assignments should be shown to the class before or as the assignment is being assigned. I think these can be assignments that other kids have done along with ones I have done to show a variety. I know that this doesn't need to be done with every activity though. I agree with Jason's method where he had us design a watch then he showed us his at the end. I think this is good for little activities and projects every once and awhile, but with big projects the kids need to know what they can and are trying to do and showing examples is a good way of doing this.

Junior High and High School students need lots of movement from the teacher - agreed.

Although it may appear difficult - It is a great idea to have the kids learn two things at once - just like we did in our summary/internet safety activity. It gives more purpose to assignments and the kids in turn learn more.

No comments: